Friday, November 13, 2015

Chronicles of Ivera - First Session


Recently my friends and I finally got around to playing some good old fashioned Dungeons and Dragons (well 5th Edition is decidedly new-fashioned, but whatever)! Currently four of us are playing together; Ivera is our dungeon master's own home brew world where we are journeying through. As far as I know it's an amalgamation of most standard D&D settings as we can use pretty much any rule book we can find. These chronicles are to record the happenings of the game, just because I want to, and possibly for a refresher depending on how long the game lasts. We're mostly amateur players, so I describe some fairly newbish shenanigans I apologize. Also, one of our teammates died immediately because he was being a dick. Maybe he learned his lesson?

We started our journey in the Northern half of the continent Kana, in a small town called ???. There the three of us were separately drawn towards a man pleading for help, the nearby Stonedew Village was apparently suffering a rash of kidnappings. As a druid I felt compelled to help these people in need and headed to the East. A hulking goliath barbarian as well as a braggart tiefling rogue had decided to team up. The tiefling was practically loud and brash.

There was nary an obstacle between us and the village, but near the end of our journey I noticed a zombie tangled up in a nearby tree. All three of us descended on the abomination and ended it's cruel existence. Farther off we noticed the light of a campfire and several men gathered nearby, most armed with bows shooting off into the woods. As we approached we offered to help, but the group of men seemed desperate and scared. They explained zombies had ravaged the town nearby. Even after proving our worth at protecting them they ran off. The tiefling attempted to slow one down, but outright murdered him. He then proceeded to sack the same campsite area, giving me twenty coins. Dead men and cowards have less use for gold than I, I reasoned to myself as I dumped money in my pockets.

Nothing else happened between there and our destination. The local village elder, Old Gregg, was delighted that we'd come to help. I asked if he knew of a suspicious lot outside of town, but he was too preoccupied with saving the survivors to be of much help. He pointed us in the direction of other adventurer's who had come before us, we went towards the alleged direction of the source of the zombies. Arriving in a graveyard we had enough time to witness a dwarf rushing forward before being stopped by magic. As we approached him two riders could be seen in the distance, an Orc riding a wolf who took off, and a man riding a skeleton horse lit the frozen dwarf on fire before following. Six skeletons rose from their grave. The battle was fierce. Although one skeleton in particular was quite ineffective. Losing both arms and his head while failing to do any damage, the others weren't as harmless. My barbarian friend fell unconscious, and after freeing himself from the magic's hold the dwarf too wound up succumbing to his injuries. I managed to stabilize them both.

At this point the tiefling had begun rifling through the dwarves pockets. I disapproved but said nothing, he again gave me a good portion of the money found. He even went so far as to remove the dwarf's greatsword. After resting a while they both woke up. The dwarf seemed quite level headed, asking for help back to the inn to reconvene with his brother. Realizing the tiefling has taken his sword he asked for it back, but the tiefling argued, trying to take more money after having stolen almost all of it. The dwarf sadly explained aside from his brothers the weapon was all he had. After a bit more though the tiefling dropped the blade and headed back to town, I helped the dwarf.

The next day I awoke early and spoke to the dwarf's brother. He thanked me for the help, and then explained that on the other side of town he had helped the townsfolk lead the zombies into a pit and created a crude blockade to stop them from getting out. He asked for help dealing with them to which I agreed. A few hours later we all had arrived. Villagers had been chopping away at the reaching zombies, which proved problematic at best. As we arrived the detached hands sprung to life, killing two of them immediately. Another sliding down into the pit, letting one escape. In his only heroic moment the tiefling did manage to shoot one of the zombie hands clean off a man without hurting the innocent. He was the only villager to leave alive, and possibly the only one to spread good tidings of this tiefling.

It took almost everything we had, and I'm not entirely sure what happened as I fell unconscious at a certain point, but I awoke as the dwarf fed me a healing potion. I realized all the zombies and animated zombie bits had been slain. Before really understanding the cause the tiefling attempted to intimidate the dwarf into giving us a reward by saying their were strength in numbers. The dwarf told him their numbers matched even once his brothers returned, unless he be a coward. I and the barbarian both began to back off to show our good faith as the tiefling attacked the dwarf. This was a mistake. Within into two strokes of his blade the tiefling fell. The dwarf asked us if we would mind if he kicked into the pit of now completely dead zombies, to which we shrugged, he had been a stranger just days ago and acted irrationally besides.

We regrouped in town, confused and disheartened. A bumbling cleric ran up to us, apparently hearing we had done the town a great service. He told us how he saw where those two riders from earlier had gone, interesting, but honestly they both terrified me. The two dwarf brothers showed up and told us they planned to explore the foothills from whence the zombies came and asked if we would join, to which we couldn't refuse. The cleric even followed us, though he proved increasingly timid. As we made our way up we came upon a creepy cabin, surrounded by a thick fog. All of us were suddenly frozen with fear, but after a while of not being able to detect anything of dangerous decided to investigate further. The dwarves refused to enter. Several magical objects were to be found in the house, and each one we interacted with sprang to life and attacked us. As a chest grabbed me I suddenly transformed into a bear, finally my druidic powers were coming into fruition. Nothing in the cabin posed too big a threat, and we soon cleared it out. My companions gaining some new equipment. We left to rest with the two dwarf brothers, upon waking the cabin had vanished, but our loot was still with us.

No comments: