Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015 End of the Year Wrap Up

As the first full year of the rebooted It Is A Title I wanted to take a moment and look back at the year. I suspect this post could be far too self-fellating for many, so if you skip this one I understand. I'm just going to look at each month, each project, and the few straggling posts that never came to be.

For those who don't want to read this entire thing, this was a good year I think, a step up from last, and a good foundation to do even better. Thank you, anyone who reads this regularly, semi-regularly, randomly, once, or just woke up from a crazy bender to this sentence in particular. I really appreciate it. To another, even better year!

January
I finally started going to college, so not a lot got posted this month. Race Against the Sun managed to squeeze in there though, and my opinion hasn't changed much, though I haven't had any desire to really revisit it.

February
Pokemon Insurgence, I haven't looked into any recent updates, still kind of interested in checking it out if it gets finished (or is, seriously haven't been keeping up with this at all). Pokemon Pinball Ruby and Sapphire, still love it! Gunman Clive, my first double feature. I really love the simplicity of the first, and the second was alright. It's a damn shame my 3DS is broken, but come summer time I'll be needing to pick up a replacement (Dragon Quest VII!!).

March
The Basement Collection, what a way to make me care less about a developer, sadly. A lot of neato ideas but even just thinking back on it fills me with disgust. I adore Super Meat Boy and Binding of Isaac (oh my god do I love Binding of Isaac, especially with all the updates) but these early games are mostly just irritating. Props for all the clever ideas though. State of Decay, I still have great memories of playing through this one. One of the best zombie apocalypse simulations. Five Nights At Freddy's, I don't know why I felt the need to chime in. I didn't play much of the series, I beat the first, but the others, ugh. Maybe that's why. I'm not so disillusioned that my blog might get through to people and maybe kill off some of the buss, but this is my soapbox I suppose. Hotline Miami, on the flip side is one of my absolute favorite gaming experiences. Everything about it is just perfect. A lot of people don't enjoy the sequel as much, and while it's definitely a step down in many ways from the well sewn together original, it stills scratched that itch Hotline Miami had created. Spectre issue one, my first comic post! What a crazy fucking trip old comics are, I had to share it. I've been struggling to read through the rest of the very short run, I think I've only made it half way through.

April
Another slow month. Final Fantasy Record Keeper, I've since deleted this game from my phone, but it did entertain for a long while. My first freemium game coverage, which have consistently been my most viewed much to my dismay, though I get it. Still not sure if I like the title of the series though. Mario Kart 8 DLC, I didn't think I'd have much else to say about Mario Kart 8, but hot damn is it a surprise hit for me. I'm not even a big fan of the series, but for some reason Mario Kart 8 just clicks with me.

May
Happy birthday me! Marvel Future Fight, I'm disappointed in myself for still playing this daily. I dropped out for a while when they added fucking Coulson, but they added more interesting characters since. I just unlocked a Ms. Marvel costume for Carol Danvers, and my Spider-Man and Venom are both max rank. Ugh. Still haven't spend a fucking dime on this trash though. I guess it's just the simplicity, this is the only one to have stuck around, spoilers. Bloodborne, hoo boy! What a beautiful game, though it definitely whooped me (and since the DLC has come out is whooping me all over again). 

July
I took June off, not even sure if I was planning that or not now. The start of Summer of Screams! It Follows, was a huge surprise for me, I still enjoy this movie, and the tall man still freaks me out. Gun, I can't believe it took me this long to play through this. I'm a huge sucker for Western settings in games for some reason (Red Dead series, this, Oddworld Stranger's Wrath, all excellent) and this really impressed me for what it was. Through the Woods, an interesting light horror comic collection. Balloon Fight, Iwata, president of Nintendo, died around this time, and it honestly did hit me a little bit. Balloon Fight is wonderful little game, and Iwata had a hand in making it, so it made sense to talk about it. Luigi's Mansion, a launch title for the Gamecube that really set the stage for the unique experience the console was set to deliver.

August
Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light, kind of neat because I was playing a game that wasn't released in my country! But my phone kind of sucks and the game ran poorly and really wasn't very interesting anyway. Definitely left me wanting more actual Monsters games though. Wanpaku Graffiti Splatterhouse, an adorable little murder platformer, any fan of horror or, more specifically, the Splatterhouse series owes it to themselves to play this. Salad Fingers Episode One, no, not the mostly good flash animation series, but the wretched little point and click knock off. I'm hoping the "final" build is worlds better, because a game like this could work if done well. Road to Justice begins, I'll talk about that more later. Man-Thing origins, I guess I should have saved this one for October, haha. More comics goodness, I covered some really random almost obscure characters this year. Man-Thing is honestly really good for what it was though.

September
ROM Hacking Journal, a short lived series covering my attempts at getting into ROM Hacking. I'll get back to it sometime, but I think I'm going to focus on some other stuff in the meantime. Secret of Cinnabar Island, a pleasant, short little fan game, I recommend it. Ninja Baseball Batman, holy shit! Now THIS is a beat 'em up! For a while my friends and I really got into playing some random arcade games, I want to cover more of them, not to mention play through more of them.

October
I feel I really dropped the ball this month, I'm still kinda miffed about it. Man-Bat, this was meant to be an actual series of origins throughout the month, but all that made it through was Man-Bat. Which was pretty entertaining. Older comics are a hoot. Other comics I was thinking about covering was Carter Slade Ghost Rider, Blade, Swamp Thing and more Spectre, among some others. Maybe some day. Arkham Knight, I don't know what to think. Everything let me down, but I didn't pay for it, just borrowed it, and I even 100%ed it (which I'd never done in an Arkham game). It was fun, but a let down in most regards still. Odd.

November
Operation Anchorage, I was planning on writing more about Fallout 3/New Vegas DLC, but then I ended up getting Fallout 4 a lot earlier than I thought I was going to. Chronicles of Ivera begins! I'm not sure if that is even of interest to anyone, but it could be useful for myself and my group and I just enjoy writing the casual light fantasy.

December
Guitar Hero Live, I'm pretty happy my friend picked this up. While it was a breeze to beat all the offline songs, I think there's a lot more available online. The new guitar felt good and it was pretty fun getting used to it all over again. Dragon Quest Heroes, meant to write about this one way earlier, but just didn't. I enjoyed it, and it was thankfully different enough from Hyrule Warriors that I didn't feel burnt out, but I have no desire to touch the post-game content. I just hope the sequel is so much more. Fallout 4, ugh, I don't know what else to say about this game. There's entertainment to be had, it just coulda been so much more. This is why we don't settle kids. Twelve days of Christmas, I thought it'd be fun to watch some Christmas movies with my mum and write about them here, mainly because I think we have a pretty varied pool of movies/shows.

Summer of Screams
A noble attempt. I didn't manage to write as much as I wanted to, with only six total entries (one movie, two comics and three games). I want to blame my October failings on this, but that isn't totally true. Just couldn't get into the swing of things. I'm happy with what I did manage to put out though, and covered a variety of things at least. Might do it again, but I'll probably do something else first.

Road to Justice
UGH! This has been a fucking disaster. Out of nineteen movies so far I've only liked five, and that's kind of pushing it. Batman '66 was fantastic for what it was. Return of Swamp Thing was just the right level of cheesy to be entertaining. Batman '89 has one of the best Jokers in it. Batman Returns is stylistically entertaining, but honestly I don't really care for it. Batman Begins, I'm not really a fan of this movie, but it's not a bad movie, just boring. How do five Superman movies suck and pull very little from the comics (I'm including Supergirl here)? What was Swamp Thing trying to be? Wonder Woman the TV show was popular back in the day (that theme song though is delicious)? Who thought THAT would be a good idea for a Justice League TV show? BATMAN FOREVER AND ROBIN? SHAQUILLE O'STEEL? CATWOMAN? Agh. There has been a lot of date fudging, we've taken way longer breaks between watching some of these then we planned. But at least, we're almost out. Going forward I think there's only four movies out of thirteen I'm not at least interested in seeing/rewatching. Only time will tell. At least Watchmen and The Losers are coming up. I really enjoyed those.

Dropped Projects
Final Fantasy Type-0. One of my biggest disappointments of... well, a long damn time. I'd been anticipating this from the first time I'd heard about it. The let down from how awful the game actually was was so severe that my blog post turned into a giant rant against every aspect of the game. I might finish it up some day, it's still on here as a draft, but I don't really want to. Basically, porting a PSP game to PS4 without optimizing anything for it really (graphically it's grotesque, some things are touched up, most things aren't and it clashes badly. Better control options are flat ignored because, why? The whole game is set up to be played on a subway on your way to and from work, it's kind of disappointing, but that style of game really doesn't work either for me, or on a home console, in my opinion) is just a god awful idea and Square should be ashamed of themselves for that shit.

Godzilla the Game, I started writing up a new style of article for this game. Basically a faux court session where I stood up for the game because pretty much everybody was unfairly hating on the game for not meeting their expectations (hilariously part of my problem with Final Fantasy Type-0 you could argue). I think the game is great, as a budget title, which unfortunately it wasn't released as. The game feels like a B-movie video game, and that fits the character so well, but you cannot justify a 60 dollar price tag on that kind of deal. Worth checking out for fans of Godzilla, if you can find it cheap.

Digimon World Re:Digitize, I just... never beat. I kind of lost interest. This game is awesome because it takes my favorite Digimon game (the original World) and expands on it in a bunch of great ways. I just ended up kind of not playing after a while, but I highly recommend checking this one out. It got a fan translation that is well written, it matches the tone of other Digimon stuff well, so I don't think too many liberties were taken with the script. But seriously, this is how a Digimon game should be. Try it out if you can.

I Kill Giants, a lovely comic series that I wrote about in full, probably back in 2014 and it's just been.... sitting. I don't know why. It might appear randomly soon.

There is a slew of other half projects, and scraps of things I've wanted to write. Some, all or none of those may appear later. That about wraps up this wrap up though. I'm going to post about plans moving forward, and maybe some hints at what might show up soon, and then it's back to my usual sporadic posting schedule! Thank you, anyone who reads this regularly, semi-regularly, randomly, once, or just woke up from a crazy bender to this sentence in particular. I really appreciate it. To another, even better year!

-Adam

No comments: