Friday, February 03, 2017

Games I Beat: Assault Android Cactus


Assault Android Cactus
Arcadey Shoot 'Em Up
1-4 Players
System: PS4
Developer: Witch Beam
Year of Release: 2015
Beaten: January 22nd, 2017

I'm worried I won't have much to say about this game, not that it's bad, I liked it quite a bit really, there just isn't much there. Like a fairly satisfying snack. That's actually a really succinct analogy for this game.

Assault Android Cactus is a old school, arcadey shooter. You play as one of a handful of little android girls. My biggest problem with the game is how these robots look. The art style isn't bad, but it certainly doesn't appeal to me. Not to mention the dialogue is really unfunny, but trying ever so hard to be funny, but at least you skip over all that. Luckily the gameplay is great, and what really matters here. Each of them come equipped with a main weapon and a special weapon that has to charge up before you use it. There's a decent amount of different load outs which is neat, but you'll quickly discern who you like to play as, and as such probably won't feel compelled to play through the game as each of them.


It wouldn't take long though, the game has five zones which consist of five levels each. They're mostly small arenas, which usually change in some manner like the floor raising and lowering, or disappearing when you walk away from it, filled to the brim with enemies. You can never really "die", if you sustain too much damage you'll fall into a state of disrepair and can heal yourself by pressing some buttons. All the while there is a battery draining which can only be refilled by an upgrade that falls from enemies. I'm not sure if there is a pattern to it or not though. This game is never as overwhelming as a bullet hell style shoot 'em up, but it gets close sometimes. I played through with a buddy and we had to restart a couple of levels, but none of them posed too much of a problem.

The real draw is getting a higher score. I just don't really mesh well with that mindset, unless I really enjoy the game or am getting competitive with a friend for some reason. There is plenty of replay value for people who want to get S+ ranks on each stage though. I'm not even sure how to go about getting them though, granted we only played through each level twice, I'm not sure what you would need to do to get a better rank, we typically got C's and B's.


Like I said, I don't really have too much to say about this game. It's pleasant, and I bought it on sale for five dollars recently, well worth it. That's five levels a dollar! And after beating it you unlock a daily run to compete with strangers for the top score and an endless mode, which you can try to... climb the leader boards! High scores! I highly recommend this game to anyone who would enjoy a classic style arcade experience which won't eat all your quarters, nor feels unfair. The only downside is the weak story and aesthetic, but no one is picking this up for plot. If you can find it on sale, give it a shot.

No comments: