Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Road to Justice: Batman '66


Batman
Directed by: Leslie H. Martinson
Starring: Adam West, Burt Ward, Lee Meriwether, Cesar Romero, Burgess Meredith, Frank Gorshin
Released: 1966
Watched: August 24th, 2015

Thoughts Before: I haven't seen this one, though I do have a basic familiarity with the most common tropes of this show. Knowing that there is going to be an overdose of cheese I think it should be easier to take. Still expecting to groan more than anything though.


Thoughts After: Wow! I'm seriously impressed by how much I enjoyed this movie. There was plenty of camp in every corner of the movie but it owns it and runs with it in such a way that it just works somehow. Awkward scenes of Robin slowly climbing down the ladder to Batman who's being bitten by a shark, or how closely together they scale buildings just cracked me up. The villains were all, honestly, perfect. I could seriously see the guy who played Penguin in this being the Penguin in almost any version of Batman. The Riddler stood out to me too for some reason, I just really enjoyed his prescense. Sensual Catwoman who at one point is bathing herself like a cat was hilarious. Sadly Joker felt underwhelming to me, somehow he was the weakest of the villains. There were two scenes of this movie that I had seen prior, and humorously they were both in this movie. Shark repellent and the bomb being the two scenes.

The Best: That bomb scene is genuinely hard to top. Watching Batman running into the same group of nuns while trying to safely dispose of a bomb worked so well.

No comments: