Friday, October 09, 2015

Road to Justice: Supergirl


Supergirl
Directed by: Jeannot Szwarc
Starring: Faye Dunaway, Helen Slater, Hart Bochner, Peter Cook
Released: 1984
Watched: October 8th, 2015

(Apologies for the delay, these posts are going up on October 21st, but are being posted under their intended date. Life got in the way.)

Thoughts Before: Yet another movie I haven't seen yet, all I know is this is supposedly pretty bad. I don't really know what expect, and especially coming off of the other Superman movies my expectations for this are incredibly low. An 80's flick starring a female superhero with very little ground to build off in regards to the superhero genre? Yikes, things aren't looking up for our maid of might! (No really, they called her that once upon a time...)


Thoughts After: Err... What? I really don't understand how or why this got made. The movie opens with Supergirl's origins, way back on Krypton. Showing her last days on her home world, she also managed to escape the doomed planet in time, but instead as a teenager with a stronger connection to her home. She winds up arriving at Earth later than Superman, but having not aged. She quickly takes after Kal-El, with a few hints of Christopher Reeve Superman peppered in, and dons her own Supergirl suit. For some reason the villain in this movie is a witch, and I honestly am not sure what her plan was. I don't know if I'm at fault for not paying attention, or if the movie is at fault for being pretty god damned terrible. Either way, a piece of, I think, Krypton has magical properties that she soon discovers and she uses this power to do as she pleases. For some reason she really doesn't like Supergirl at all, or her alter ego, and keeps trying to defeat her. Eventually, she sends her to some other dimension, or something, maybe, I'm not really sure, where she not only loses her powers, but runs into, possibly, again I'm not totally sure, her father (or Uncle or family or friend) here and he helps her escape by sacrificing himself, in a scene which is kind of similar to a scene of fatherly loss in Man of Steel. She emerges from the witches mirror, which seems to be at least a source of her power, and does battle with her. She manages to defeat the witch, and save her boyfriend, who had been captured earlier, and everyone is thankful. Including Jimmy Olsen, who shows up from the Superman movies proper, but I don't really care so I didn't mention it.


I'm sorry if I seem blasé about this movie, it's just, so pointless I really found it hard to focus. We wound up having to watch this movie in two halves, which didn't help the flow (if there were ever any to be found) either. I can't recommend this, and honestly, this is one of the few movies on this Road to Justice I was truly dreading watching. Seriously, this stupid idea of mine is forcing me to watch a handful of movies I never wanted to see. I will say Supergirl had a good actress for the part overall I think, but the story is just frivolous garbage, however her general backstory was pretty close at least.

No comments: