Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Road to Justice: The New Original Wonder Woman


The New Original Wonder Woman Plus Episode 2
Directed by: Leonard Horn/Barry Crane
Starring: Lynda Carter, Lyle Waggoner, Christine Belford, Lynda Day George
Released: 1975/1976
Watched: August 31st, 2015

Thoughts Before: Originally I wanted to watch the 1974 Wonder Woman movie starring Cathy Lee Crosby, but it apparently wasn't very Wonder Woman-y and I couldn't easily find a copy. Instead we went with the pilot for the show that actually got made. I looked up a list of the "best" episodes of the show, and the second one was among the list, so we threw those in as well. All I know about this show is Wonder Woman twirling to transform, which didn't show up until later in the show apparently. I don't really have any thoughts about this show, other than I'm kind of excited to finally watch a bit of it.


Thoughts After: The pilot "movie" did a good job of covering Wonder Woman's origin that I'm most familiar with. Steve Trevor crash lands on Paradise Island, Wonder Woman finds him, asks to travel to the land of man, is denied, wins a tournament in disguise to go to the land of man, reveals herself as her mother tells her how proud she is of her resolve, then she's out and about in New York (I think) doing incredible things. The effects were pretty funny, her bullet blocking is made up of noticeable quick cuts, and the invisible plane was, frankly, awful. I enjoyed these things, but not for the reasons they were aiming for I fear.

The show was was honestly pretty boring and didn't hold my interest really. We were going to watch the first two episodes, but wound up only watching the second for Nazi Wonder Woman. This turned out to be pretty lame actually. Wonder Woman gets taken out way too easily, and the Nazi Wonder Woman never dons a full Nazi version of her outfit. Speaking of, I didn't watch much, but it seemed like every single blonde person was secretly a Nazi spy. A little blatant.


These may have been cheesy, and I don't think I'll wind up watching the entire show, but I might revisit some other episodes at some point. Having a Wonder Woman show is awesome, even if it wasn't exactly up my alley. Also, Lynda Carter is a damn fine woman.

Bonus Round: DC Nation shorts were little cartoon shorts created between 2012 and 2014. One of the earlier ones was a story about Wonder Woman. By shorts I mean these are short. About a minute and sixteen seconds each. Wonder Woman is comprised of three of these. In the first Steve Trevor crashes on an island, two women hunt him down but Wonder Woman catches up to him first in her trendy invisible car. In the second, Giganta emerges out of the sea and the four characters from the first all get in Wondie's car to get away, eventually they manage to trip Giganta. In the third Giganta wakes up and grabs Steve and takes off, Wondie gives chase and as Giganta jumps off a cliff into the ocean Wonder Woman drives off, hops out of her car as it crashes into Giganta's head with a surf board, grabs Stever Trevor and surfs away. He asks where he landed and is told this is Paradise Island. The action and ideas here are nice, but the art style overall, really turns me off of the whole thing. Luckily these shorts have all kinds of looks to them. These will probably be the most commonly looked at extra thing we end up watching. You can find them on youtube pretty easily if you're curious.

No comments: