Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Grandia II With A Side of Sonic

I hooked up my Dreamcast again just recently, so I've been playing two games that needed closure.

It started with Sonic Adventure. I hadn't been able to beat Big's story because I couldn't figure out how to do it exactly. So I gave it another go. Twenty minutes later Big's story is complete. Of course, I deleted my previous save file for the damn game, and now I must beat Tail's story, Knuckles' story, Amy's Story, and E-102 Beta's story. Pissed may I be, defeated I am not.

Regardless, I soon saw victory over Tail's little quest, but put the game away. I grabbed Grandia II soon after and placed it on the disc reader accompanying my Dreamcast. I started playing, I hadn't even gotten Roan in my party yet. Now I turn off the game on the Moon of Valmar, twenty more hours logged into the game.

What is this game to me? It's stereotypical bullshit that manages to pull itself off nicely. They manage to make it compelling whilest you know exactly what's to happen next. The character's are oblivious to obvious truths, while you sit back putting the simple puzzle together hours ahead of time.

It's an RPG, so it's about the story right? Somehow, this one isn't. There is just a stereotypical story here. In two words... "Corrupt Church". That's so overdone. Yet this game is still being played by me. I suppose just the sidestory's alone make me want to play.

Seeing Ryudo stuggle between the love Millenia and Elena is intriguing, but pointless. Tio's struggle with understanding is equalling pointless but makes you want to see her understand. Mareg's become pointless, just waiting for a new role for him is interesting in itself.

The real story is about finally stopping an age old war fought between the light god Granas, and the dark god Valmar. Everyone is taught differently. The mainlander's are taught to follow Granas, and that Granas won the war way back when. The Cyrum's are the new-age dark followers, they're taught the same story, but they follow Valmar. The beast people are taught both Light and Darkness coexist.

Of course Ryudo just wants some fucking money, and the girl as the game progresses. Regardless, as it turns out Valmar won the battle, somehow Granas sealed him away. So, all of the followers were upset because they had been praying to a dead man. I laughed at their misfortune and left the area. So right now I'm on the moon. After Pope Zera took Elena to resurrect Valmar.

Ryudo has stupidly allowed the horns of Valmar sealed within him to possibly awaken. So he could die, *Gasp* OMG! Anyway, I'm hoping the game eventually gets back to Roan. He just randomly leaves to become King. He could have been a worthwhile character...

Grandia II is an awesome game that you should pick up, if you own a Dreamcast or Playstation 2. I'm only half way through the game though sadly.

-Adam

No comments: